Monday, February 6, 2012

MK Experiences


I am not normal; I am a missionary’s kid. MKs, as they’re called, have their own “normal” and are redefining youth. I get asked a lot "What experience was the most exciting?" That's as hard to answer as "Where is home?" So, I'll just go for it. These all happened to me within the last four years. If you got questions, just ask, I got stories :)
If I hadn’t moved to Uganda as an MK, I’d never have…
been to Africa,
handed out stuffed animals to dying African children on Christmas Eve,
worried about the threat of a terrorist attack on my church on Sunday,
been the only white person in a room of starving children,
flown over an ocean,
been excited to get “American food” for Christmas or a birthday,
sung “Jesus Loves Me” in a language other than English, Spanish or French,
felt my “home” lies over an ocean,
had to turn down MULIPLE marriage proposals in one day,
ridden on a wooden boat built to hold 30 people with 45+ other people, chickens, goats and luggage during a thunderstorm,
had a friend that was a mother at 13 because of slavery and racism,
had to explain to a perfect stranger why I wasn’t married and a mother yet,
dealt daily in a currency other than American dollars,
had a deep conversation with a stranger (also an MK),
had Christmas in February or a birthday a month late because that’s when the presents arrived,
cooked on a gas stove (and tried to light an electric stove with a match),
used a generator when the power goes out every night,
had a monitor lizard attack our guard dogs,
used, reused, and rereused Ziploc bags or plastic forks,
used inverters to convert 220 to 110 power,
travelled all over America so that my daddy could preach at churches around the country,
had to choose one desired possession over another to take to have for the next three years due to luggage limits,
rode in an airplane more than 12 hours straight,
broken out from being allergic to and eating green mangos,
killed a snake not native to America,
killed a poisonous snake in my church “sanctuary” during worship,
gone without a microwave for more than two years,
rafted the Nile river,
spelled color and favorite with a U in it and crossed their sevens,
held a Bible in a language other than English,
gotten invited to board at a boarding school in another country,
depended on solar electricity to do school,
not really wanted anything for Christmas because I haven’t seen things I wanted,
worried that the mosquito that just bit me might have given me malaria,
had a milkman and veterinarian that makes house calls,
listened to a sermon in three different languages at a time,
done school on a dirt floor in a cement “hut",
called my suitcases “home” without thinking,
been on the opposite side of the world from both my parents at the same time,
learned first-hand how inflation works before reaching high school,
referred to their grade as “P6” or “S2” instead of “7th grade” or “sophomore”,
purposefully not worn a specific color in public because it may cause a riot during elections,
been almost tear-gassed,
unconsciously thought in a language my parents don’t speak,
been told to my face that I was not allowed to pray for a dying child by that child’s mother,
perfected the art of wearing a self-created mask while on display Sunday after Sunday morning,
spent the night at their best friend’s house and talked about the possibility they might die from a terrorist attack the next day because the US Embassy warned of such things,
played an ultimate Frisbee game with my youth group where people are shouting in three different languages,
or got up at 2 in the morning to watch the Superbowl, even though the commercials weren’t shown.
Yup, the life of an MK is diverse, but… I wouldn’t give it up for anything yet. :) 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is quite the incredible list! What about stayed on a tropical island? ; ) I especially enjoyed the one about trying to light an electric stove. :)

    ReplyDelete

Did you like my post? Have any suggestions? I'd love to hear from you! :)