Saturday, January 7, 2012

What do I know of Holy?

by Addison Road

I didn’t write these words, but I can’t think of a better way to paraphrase this.

I’ve made you promises a thousand times.
I try to hear from heaven, but I talk the whole time.
I think I made you too small
I never feared you at all.
If you touched my face would I know you?
Look into my eyes could I behold you?

What do I know of you who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood but the shore along your ocean?
Are you fire, are you fury?
Are you sacred, are you beautiful?
So what do I know? What do I know of holy?

I guess I thought that I had figured you out.
Knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
how you were mighty to save.
Those were only empty words on a page.
Then I caught a glimpse of who you might be.
The slightest hint of you brought me down to my knees.

So what do I know of you who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood but the shore along your ocean?
Are you fire, are you fury?
Are you sacred, are you beautiful?
So what do I know? What do I know of holy?

What do I know of holy?
What do I know of wounds will heal my shame
and a God who gave life its name?
What do I know of holy?
Of the one who the angels praise?
All creation knows your Name.
On earth and heaven above,
what do I know of this love?

So what do I know of you who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood but the shore along your ocean?
Are you fire, are you fury?
Are you sacred, are you beautiful?
Oh what do I know, what do I know of holy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like my post? Have any suggestions? I'd love to hear from you! :)