Monday, October 10, 2011

Believe It

This is the 3rd part of my series and the basis for my last post, “He is with You”—if it seems a little dry, the meat is in the last post. I encourage you to read them both. 
He says it. I tell you! The Lord God of all that He ever created wants to tell you His promises. He wants you to remember them.
the ultimate SURVIVING tool
I can hardly say enough about how much I love my Study Bible. Last night I was feeling alone in the world—and when I opened my Bible, guess what fell out? A paper a friend gave me with many promises of God contradicting human thinking. Under the human thought, “I feel all alone,” there was only one verse. Hebrews chapter thirteen, verse five says:
“God has said: ‘Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.’”
A few pages flipped around (thanks to a concordance and cross-referencing), and I find where God said that: Deuteronomy chapter thirty-one, verse six. But a few verses down in that same chapter, He also said:
“The Lord himself foes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
The next link lead me to a more pessimistic point of view of this promise:
“The Lord your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon you or destroy you or forget.” ~Deut. 4:31
Even farther back into the Old Testament, God promises Jacob:
“I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”
So, until when does this “until” last? The answer is in the New Testament:
“I'm convinced that God, who began this good work in you, will carry it through to completion on the day of Christ Jesus.”~Phil. 1:6 (GW) 
But my personal favorite is in Psalms:
"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." ~Psalms 139:9-10 
Do I believe that God promises He will always be with me and will always be working on me until the end of the age (a.k.a. “the day of Christ Jesus”)? Yes. Can I grasp how He could or even would want to? No. But we walk by faith, not by sight. Or, I guess I could say we walk by faith, not by insight.
Just don’t forget God. He won’t forget you. You better believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like my post? Have any suggestions? I'd love to hear from you! :)