Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Home….. or should I say, “In Transition?”

Home. Four letters. Two vowels. One syllable. Countless meanings.

Webster’s definition of “home”:

n. 1. One's own dwelling place; the house in which one lives; esp., the house in which one lives with his family; the habitual abode of one's family; also, one's birthplace. 2.One's native land; the place or country in which one dwells; the place where one's ancestors dwell or dwelt. 3. The abiding place of the affections, especially of the domestic affections. ....

“The abiding place of the affections”—home.

It’s not so much a place, as a thought. “Home is where your heart is” and “Where Mamma is, that’s home” are both quite true… But when both of those things seem to shift and change and separate, which one is home then?

What about when your whole family lives on one side of the earth, and let’s just give some random example, say, you live on the other side? What happens when your Mamma lives in one country and you in another? What happens when she’s in that other country with you, but her home isn’t yours? And what’s it supposed to be like when your best friend lives half a world away and your lives break apart? What is one to do when he wishes to comfort and love those he cares about but distance separates them? What then.

How can one be homesick when one doesn’t even know where his home is?

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts and questions, Janae. Honestly, I struggled initially in being home in the U.S. because in a way I didn't really felt like I belonged or knew what to do. And I have also struggled some here in Uganda as I try to transition back and wonder what God has for me in the coming months. I am coming to the conclusion that "home" is definitely more of a thought and attitude, than even a place. I am learning that wherever God wants me at this time, I need to make it my "home." It reminds me of Jeremiah's admonition to the Jews in the Babylonian captivity. He told them to plant gardens, build houses, raise children, etc. in the "foreign" land. I believe God asks us to do the same - to bloom wherever He plants us and He will cause that place to be home to us - because there we will find peace and contentment as we rest and trust in Him in the places He plants us. Love ya, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home is where the people you love are. You have more than one home--I'm guessing you have many homes.

    ReplyDelete

Did you like my post? Have any suggestions? I'd love to hear from you! :)